Juliana Areias – Viva Brazil!
Friday 06 September 7.00pm at the Ellington Jazz Club – Perth – Book Now
Juliana Areias invites you to party Brazilian-style, and experience the magical cultural diversity that gives Brazilian Music its constant abundance of creativity and excitement. Roll-up for a stunning night of rhythms and joy celebrating the National Independence Day and music of the country of bossa nova, samba and carnaval with Perth’s own Brazilian singer-songwriter and recent winner of the USA Focus Brasil Music Award – Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby”.
This vibrant and sensuous concert will embrace some of Brazil’s most evocative rhythms and fusions – bossa, samba, baiao, maracatu, samba-jazz, samba-funk, samba-rock – featuring many celebrated composers and interpreters as well as few songs from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album “ Bossa Nova Baby”. From fresh arrangements of Jobim’s bossa classics such as The Girl from Ipanema, One note Samba and Sergio Mendes Brazil66’ popular samba recording Mas que nada to contemporary Brazilian icons – Djavan, Joao Bosco, Lenine, Cazuza, Tim Maia, Lulu Santos, Elis Regina, Ceu, Maria Gadu, Maria Rita, Rita Lee, Arlindo Cruz – the Viva Brazil! concert will make your heart beat stronger and your imagination fly high.
For this exceptionally colourful concert, Juliana Areias has assembled a blazing line-up of sensational musicians and special guests – showcasing the amazing talent and cultural diversity we are so lucky to have in Perth. Juliana Areias is honoured to share the stage with:
– Paul Millard, – Australian Saxophonist, flautist (leader of Straight Ahead Big Band);
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan guitarist and singer;
– Adam Springuetti – Australian/Italian bassist and instrumentalist.
– Filippe Rimis – Brazilian drummer
And very special guests:
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist
– Ourico – Lee Coumbe – Australian percussionist and Capoeira teacher (leader of Cdo-Perth Capoeira Group)
– Ana Lucia Pereira, Felipe Ortega and Sarah Quinn – samba de gafieira and forro dance teachers and their students.
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel alive and spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt