Saturday 20 October 7.00pm – Book Now
After enthralling audiences across the US and Japan, with her “Bossa Nova Baby” concerts in New York, California, Florida, New Jersey, Tokyo and Nagoya, Perth-based Brazilian singer-songwriter Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby”, is back at the Ellington Jazz Club, and invites you on a musical voyage, with her new show called “Oceano”.
The Oceano concert will feature songs about the seven seas, iconic beaches, mythic creatures and magic tales of Neptune, Poseidon, Yemanja, sirens, mermaids, pirates, fish-men, African slave ships and Atlantis’s mysteries.
Dive into a repertoire of alluring originals and irresistible covers; from bossa and jazz classics like “The Girl from Ipanema” and “Beyond the Sea” (“La Mer”); to a water-colour of rhythms by Brazilian artists such as Antonio Carlos Jobim, Roberto Menescal, Djavan, Tim Maia, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Marisa Montes, Ceu, Maria Gadu, Lenine, Marina, Lulu Santos, Chico Buarque and Edu Lobo.
The concert will also reference UK artists who influenced Juliana Areias when she lived in Europe during the 90’s – David Byrne’s record with Caetano Veloso “Dreamworld – Red Hot” (1998) and Smoke City’s record “Underwater Love” (1997).
Aboard with Juliana for this maritime excursion are her captains of groove: guitarist Ray Walker, pianist Ben Mathews, bassist Joe Southwell, Drummer Bronton Ainsworth and special guests Joshua de Silva (seven string guitar) and Rafael Medeiros ( Brazilian percussion).
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages around the world including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand, the Fukiagi Hall in Japan and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music.”, Daily Record, Bill Nutt. – USA
– “Rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery” – Jazz and Beyond , The Australian, John McBeath.
– “We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – ABC Radio National – Daily Planet – Lucky Oceans.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries” – The Australian – Tony Hillier.
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of good Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Antonio
Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the “Latin Grammy Award” – Brazil
– ”A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.“ – Key and Chords – Patrick Van de Wiele . – Belgium
More information at: www.julianaareias.com