FEATURING PRESS AND REVIEWS
– “We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – ABC Radio National – Daily Planet – Lucky Oceans.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of good Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio
Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the “Latin Grammy Award”.
– “Rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery” – Jazz and Beyond , The Australian, John McBeath.
– ” A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.“– Key and Chords, Belgium/Europe – Patrick Van de Wiele .
SAT 27 MAY 2017 at CINE VIVO – Perth Latin American Film Festival.
Juliana Areias & Mike Bevan (Perth – Brazil – Adelaide) – Double Tribute to Choro & Chico Buarque. – Sat 27/5/2017
After an inspiring Brazilian Tour, Juliana Areias, the Bossa Nova Baby, is back in town inviting Mike Bevan – one of the best Australian guitarists based in Adelaide – for this unique musical collaboration at Cine Vivo – Perth’s Latin American Film Festival 2017.
Together they will present an enchanting repertoire of precious Chico Buarque songs, sambas and choros – Brazil’s most sophisticated musical genre, the precursor of samba – authentically performed by Mike in a seven string guitar.
“Chico Buarque is one of the best Brazilian composers ever who translates Brazilian social, cultural and emotional soul like no other. What a privilege and dream come true will be to perform this special show with Mike Bevan and our special guests at the Cine Vivo!” – says Juliana Areias.
About Juliana Areias
Perth based, Brazil born singer and song-writer Juliana Areias’s career includes performances at Montreux Jazz Festival, Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s of London and Auckland Festival. Her original album “Bossa Nova Baby” produced in Perth, has featured as the “Changing Face of Australian Music” on ABC Radio National and has been receiving multiple music award nominations, great reviews and continuous radio airplay in Australia, Europe, Japan, USA and Latin America.
While a teenager, Juliana was introduced to the founders of Bossa Nova by prize-winning music historian and journalist Ruy Castro who also dubbed her the ‘Bossa Nova Baby.’ This direct exposure to the Bossa Nova masters inspired her to become a professional singer and song-writer.
For audio, videos, photos and more information visit http://www.julianaareias.com and her facebook page https://www.facebook.com/JulianaAreias.BrazilianSinger/
About Mike Bevan
Mike Bevan has performed jazz, blues and Brazilian music locally, nationally and internationally in Brazil, Japan, Korea and the US.
Mike tours the country regularly and has played WOMADelaide, Bellingen Global Carnival, the Famous Spiegeltent, the Adelaide Fringe and Cabaret Festivals and the Adelaide International Guitar Festival with Doug de Vries and Yamandu Costa.
He has produced two CDs with ‘Caliente’, ‘Bebé’ and ‘Menage à Guitar”; two with vocalist Charmaine Jones, ‘A Small Hotel ‘ and ‘Still’; a solo album, ‘Homage’, and ‘Never too Far Away’, a recent collaboration with his brother Andy Bevan.