- Radio interview – Radio Conectados – 8 Feb 2017 -Sao Paulo,
- Radio Interview Rádio Senado , Programa Escala Brasileira, with apresentador Alcebíades Muniz, o Bido – 5 Feb 2017 recorded on 26 Jan 2017, 15h ,Brasilia, Brazil.
- Radio Interview Radio Beach Park, Programa Cafuné by DJ Guga de Castro, 3 Feb 2017, 22h, Fortaleza time , Ceara, Brazil.
- Brazil Radio Interview Rádio Mix FM (106,3), Mix Tudo – Sao Paulo, Brazil 31 Jan 2017 – 20h. (live)
- TV Live performance and interview at TV Record News- Programa Talentos do JRNews – reprise, best of the year – 28 Jan 2017 – 21h, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Radio interview – Radio CBN by Brunno Mello ( Central Brasileira de Noticias) – 28 Jan 2017, Brasilia, Brazil 10h-10h30 (live).
- TV interview – TV Fortaleza, Programa Entre Amigos by Eduardo Praciano – 27 Jan 2017 – 10h, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil.
- Radio Interview Rádio Nacional FM by Maria Vilhena – 27 Jan 2017, 11h30 and 16h , Brasilia, Brazil. LISTEN HERE
- Article at Magazine Aqui tem diversao – Juliana Areias em Brasilia – 26 Jan 2017, Brasilia, Brazil.
- Newspaper article Jornal Estado, 20 Jan 2017 – Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil.
- TV interview and life performance – TV Diário, Programa Tudo por Elas – 20 Jan 2017 – 9h30 – 11h, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil.
Radio Interview – 107,9 – Rádio Universitária FM – Programa Musicultura Ufc, by Pedro Rogerio and Miguel d’Paula Maia – 18 Jan 2017 – 16h – Brazil Time.
- Magazine Revista Expressao – Jan 2017, Brazil.
- Note newspaper Jornal A TARDE – 7 Jan 2017, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Note newspaper Jornal Correio da Bahia, 7 Jan 2017, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Interview for Radio Excelsior 840AM , “Entre amigos” – “Tradição e cultura” – 2-3pm – 6 Jan 2017, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Interview for Radio Educadora 107.5 FM – 12pm – 5 Jan 2017 , Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Article at IBAHIA Online Magazine – ” Juliana Areias convidada especial da JAM no MAM deste sabado (7)” – 4 Jan 2017, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Article at Alo Alo Bahia Magazine :Juliana Areias ira se apresentar no JAM no MAM“ – 4 Jan 2017, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Article at Balaio Cultural – Juliana Areias e convidada do Jam do MAM – Jan 2017 , Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Article at Metro 1 – Jan 2017, Salvador, Bahia
- Article newspaper Jornal Correio da Bahia – VIP: radicada na Australia, cantora se apresenta na JAM no MAM . By Gabriela Cruz, Giuliana Mancini e Verena Paranhos – 3 Jan 2017 – Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
- Newspaper Jornal O Globo – Segundo Carderno by Leonardo Lichote. – 28 Dec 2016 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Rádio MPB Brasil 90,3 FM – 28 Dec 2016 – 2pm, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.
Live interview Radio Nacional do Rio de Janeiro – 1130 AM , Programa Alo Daisy – 28 Dec 2016 11.40am , Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Article O Parana , 28 Dec 2016 , Brazil
- Radio Cidade 102.9FM – Agenda Cultural da Rádio JBFM by Gabriel Melo, Rio de Janeiro 27 Dec 2016 – 9pm.
- Article Manchete Online by Helena Garrido – Rio de janeiro 27 Dec 2016.
- Rádio MPB, 90,3 Fm note by Barbara Vianna 27 Dec 2016 .
- Rádio BandNews note at Programa Terceira Edição – 24 Dec 2016 – 8-8.40pm . Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Radio Rio de Janeiro – Mulher Brasileira – Monicka Christi – Dec 2016, Rio de janeior, Brazil.
- G1 Agenda de shows – Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby no Beco das Garrafas – Globo – 23 Dec 2016, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Live Interview Radio MEC 99,3 FM – Rio de Janeiro – Thur 22 Dec 2016 – 18.30pm.
- Newspaper JORNAL FOLHA DE SAO PAULO – Ilustrada – Fri 16 Dec 2016 by Victoria Azevedo, Brazil. ” Juliana Areias apresenta seu album de estreia com musicos da Jazz Sinfonica”.
- TV Record News – Programa JR News Talentos by Herodoto Barbeiro – Wed 14 and Fri 16 Dec 2016, 22h Sao Paulo time , Brazil.
- Newspaper JORNAL ESTADO DE SAO PAULO – Direto da Fonte – Na Frente by Sonia Racy – Fri 16 Dec 2016 , Sao Paulo-
- Radio Interview for Radio Bandeirantes Sao Paulo – FM 90.9 – Antenados by Rafael Colombo – Sat 10 Dec 2016 – 12-1pm ( Sao Paulo Time)
- Radio Interview for Jovem Pan – 100.9FM – Sao Paulo, Brazil – Live on Friday 9 Dec 2016 – 4.30pm ( Sao Paulo Time). #radioatividade
- Radio Interview for Radio Trianon AM 740- Programa Radar Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil – Live on Friday 9 Dec 2016 – 6-7pm ( Sao Paulo Time)
- The Australian Music Daily – Dec 2016
- Interview Magazine – Riviera em Foco by Luiz Gustavo Alves – Dec 2016, Brazil.
- The Western Suburbs – “Ladies of Latin Jazz to Seduce Crawley This Weekend” – 30 Nov 2016
- Billboard Brasil Magazine feat. Lulu Santos in Rio de Janeiro and Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby show in Sao Paulo – Dec 2016
- Article at Artistas e Artes – 27 Nov 2016 , Brazil.
- Elite Magazine – ” Bossa Nova Baby” retorna ao Brasil para show e lancamento de album de Estreia em Sao Paulo , em Dezembro – Destaques, Lifestyle, Musica, Todos – Sat 26 Nov 2016 – Brazil
- The Post Newspaper – Time Out Section – Article by Sarah McNeill about The Ladies of Latin Jazz Concert – “Picnic with the Bossa Nova Babies” Sat 26 Nov 2016 page 92.
- Radio Interview – Fremantle Radio 107.9FM – Cada Dia by Julio Marcelo with Juliana Areias about The Ladies of Latin Jazz Concert and Bossa Nova Baby Brazilian Tour – Sunday 27 Nov 2016 -11am – 12.30am
- Radio Interview – RTR FM 92.1FM – Global Rhythm Pot with Jane Hebiton Tassell – with Juliana Areias and Brenda Lee about the Ladies of Latin Jazz Concert. – Sat 26 Nov 2016 – 11am
- Radio Interview – 6EBA World Radio 95.3 FM – Breakfast with Val – with Juliana Areias and Brenda Lee about The Ladies of Latin Jazz Concert – Friday 25 Nov 2016 9.30-10.15am
- Radio Interview – Heritage FM – HFM 107.3 FM Calling all Artists by Peter Ballinger with Brenda Lee about The Ladies of Latin Jazz Concert – Monday 21 Nov 2016 – 5-7pm
- European Union Centre for Global Affairs – University of Adelaide – Sponsorship note – The Ladies of Latin Jazz Concert
- Article at Guitar Talks – about Bossa Nova Baby Brazilian Tour – by Felipe Madureira , Brazil – 8 Nov 2016 – Com tempero australiano, Juliana Areias lanca album de estreia no Brasil. Other articles at For Exportation, Bora Sair , Fievent , Uiara Zagolin na Media Coluna Social.
- Europea Radio – Europea Media – Cloud Jazz – by Esteban Novillo Piris – Madrid – Spain . Edition 1050 – 27 October 2016 – Especial Cloud Jazz – Feito em Brasil – Program dedicated to Brazilian Jazz featuring Vanessa Da Mata, Sergio Mendes, Janice Andrade, Torcuato Mariano, Sabrina Malheiros, Ivan Lins, Eliane Elias, Marcela Mangabeira, Djavan, Juliana Areias, Bebel Gilberto, Ana Caram y Marcos Valle.
- Live interview for the inaugural FarofaWA Radio Program at FM 95.3 by Marcus Tranjan and Angel Lopes – 4 October 2016 – 7PM
- Live interview with Samm Coad-Ward – RTR 92.1 FM- 27 Sept 2016 – 1am
- Live interview at Latin Studio – 89.7FM by Karito Viviana – 17 Sept 2016 – 1.15pm.
- Live interview with Juliana Areias presenting the 16 songs of her life at Lusofonicas – RTR 92.1FM by Jose Neves. – 15 Sept 2016 – 12-2am.
- Bossa Nova Baby Album featured at Pennsylvania’s WRCT 88.3 FM – Cantinho Brasileiro no Radio – by Carla Andrea Leininger – 20 Aug 2016 – USA.
- “ O novo modelo da bossa nova ” ( The new bossa nova model ) – review featuring the albums of Carol Saboya and Juliana Areias by Adalto Alves – No Compasso – Ludovica Magazine – Brazil, 2 August 2016.
- West Australian – Today – Out & About at the WASAS by Emma Bergmeier-Varian. Juliana Areias & Geoffrey Drake-Brockman at the Western Australian Screen Awards Ceremony. Geoffrey, the artist creator of the Western Australian Screen Award Statuette – Sculpture. Photos by John Koh – 6 July 2016
- RTR 92.1 FM – Global Rhythm Pot – Live Interview with Juliana Areias show at the Launch Party of Cine Vivo – Latino Film Festival / Revelation Film Festival 2016 by Dana Ogle. – Sat 2 July 2016 – 12.15pm
- SBS Portuguese Melbourne – Interview with Marcus Tranjan e Angelica Lopes about the FarofaWA Radio Program project, mentioning the supported by Juliana Areias. By Luciana Fraguas – 22 June 2016
– ABC Far North Queensland 95.5FM- Radio interview with Juliana Areias by Fiona Sewell – 3 June 2016 -4.30pm.
– Cairns Post – Just don’t blame it on the bossa nova by Kerstin Kehren – 2 June 2016
– Geoffrey Drake-Brockman reflects on Looking Glass at Linton & Kay – Western Suburbs Newspaper Article by Tanya MacNaughton /picture by Andrew Ritchie – (Mention about solo exhibition opening with a perfomance of “Belas Artes by Juliana Areias ) – 6 May 2016
– Phone interviews for The Cairns Post (Kerstin Kehren), BBM 98.7FM (Matty Motlop) and NQ Music Press (Mitch Sullivan /Todd Macalpine) – about the Jazz Up North Series – 11-17 April 2016
– “Fim de um round” Article at G1 – Globo, Brazil by Antonio Carlos Miguel 17 April 2016.
– Interview at RTR 92.1FM – Snooze Button by Marcus Tranjan – 4 Feb 2016.
– The changing face of Australian Music. ABC Radio National -features Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby album on Australia Day. – 26 Jan 2016.
“We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – says Lucky Oceans, Grammy winner and presenter of Daily Planet Program at ABC Radio National, broadcast on over 260 frequencies around Australia, making it the largest single network in the country.
– Where Event – Amsterdam Tour – September 2015
– Limelight Magazine – Australia’s classical music and arts Magazine – September 2015
– Weekend Notes – Sydney – review : Bossa Nova Baby Tour – Extra Show at Foundry 616 – by Erica Enriquez. Sept 2015
– Interview for My Local World – Sydney – by Erica Enriquez – Sept 2015
– SBS – Portuguese – Brasileiros Fizeram Historia na Australia – Beatriz Wagner – “Hundreds gather at The Sydney Opera House to Celebrate Brazil at the Harbour -16 Sept 2015
– Radar Magazine – Australia and Brazil celebrating 70 years of bilateral relations by Carla Damasceno Ferreira – 14 Sept 2015
– SBS Radio – Sydney – Live interview by Beatriz Wagner – 13 Sept 2015 – 12-1pm
– Tourism Australia and Globo Brazil Media Event. Photos by Paper Cranes Productions – featuring TV stars of the next Brazilian Soap Opera “Totally Awesome” – Novela da Globo ” Totalmente Demais” by director Luiz Henrique Rios and Brazilian actors Juliana
Paes, Fabio Assuncao and Fernanda Mota – Intercontinental Hotel, Sydney – 10 Sept 2010. The Sydney Herald, News Australia, Travelers, Revista Quem Acontece, Diario de Turismo, Tourism Australia, Globo.
– Northside FM 99.3 , Sydney – Now’s the time – Live interview by Frank Presley – 10 Sept 2015 – 9.30pm
– Sydney – Weekend Notes – Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby Sydney Tour b Erica Enriquez – 5 Sept 2015. Event Finda. Jazz org .
– “E-global travel – Australia, New Zealand, India, Asia, Japan, America’s” article featuring Juliana Areias Bossa Nova Show at the Sydney Opera House – Sept 2015 – Latin Pr .
– TexBrasil – Brazilian Fashion Industry – Internationalization Program
– Brazil – R7noticias – Opera House abre as portas para bossa nova com show de Juliana Areias by Rodrigo Vasconcellos Cesar- Sept 3rd 2015. – Portal Soma, News Informer.
Em setembro, Brasil e Austrália celebram 70 anos de relações diplomáticas. Para celebrar o aniversário, o Consulado Geral do Brasil em Sydney e o Conselho Empresarial Austrália-Brasil (AubrBC) comemoram a data com show de Juliana Areias no Opera House, em Sydney, em evento exclusivo no próximo dia 8 de setembro. A cantora lançou em fevereiro o CD “Bossa Nova Baby” e foi aclamada pela imprensa australiana.
“Será uma noite inesquecível. Estou muito feliz e horada com o convite para apresentar o show Bossa Nova Baby no cartão postal australiano e poder celebrar o meu amor pelo Brasil e pela Austrália junto com os 500 convidados do evento. Muito feliz também de ver o álbum Bossa Nova Baby ganhando o mundo, sendo tocado em rádios da Austrália toda, Brasil, America Latina, Estados Unidos, Europa e Japão. Bossa Nova em toda parte, feita aqui e agora!”, comemora Juliana.
Lançado em dedicação aos 450 anos da cidade do Rio de Janeiro, o álbum teve patrocínio do Departamento de Cultura e Artes do Governo de Western Australia e de uma campanha bem-sucedida de crowd-funding que envolveu fãs e seguidores espalhados por países tão diferentes quanto Itália, Qatar, Andorra, Nova Zelândia e, claro, Brasil e Austrália. O CD reúne 12 músicas originais compostas por Juliana Areias pelo mundo afora e gravadas em Perth com alguns dos músicos de jazz mais conhecidos e consagrados da Austrália, como Pete Jeavons, Graham Wood, Ray Walker, Marcio Mendes, Chris Tarr, Paul Millard.
O álbum está disponível nos principais serviços de música online e também no site da cantora emwww.julianaareias.com.
Além do show no Opera House, a cantora se apresenta também em Sydney no dia 9 na casa de jazz Foundry616. Depois, em outubro, a cantora irá se apresentar em Londres e Amsterdã. “Estou em busca de parcerias para viabilizar uma turnê pelo Brasil no futuro”, conta a cantora.
Brazil at the Harbour – Juliana Areias
Data: 08 de setembro
Exclusivo para convidados
Bossa Nova Baby
Foundry616 – Sydney
Data: 9 de setembro às 20h30
– Sky News TV Australia – Live interview with the Consul-General of the Consulate-General of Brazil, Carlos de Abreu, about Brazil month and Australia’s important relationship with the country. Featuring Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby Show at the Opera House. (Broadcast Wednesday 2 September 2015.)
– UK – Braziliannews.uk.com September 2015 Edition by Rodrigo Santos: ” Meca do Jazz rende-se aos talentos Brasileiros : Bebel Gilberto e Eumir Deodato sobem ao palco em setembro. Juliana Areias em 8 de outubro.
– Sydney – Eastside 89.7FM Community Billboard 31 Aug-6 Sept 2015 – Juliana Areias Bossa Nova Baby – Sydney tour
– Jazz in Sydney – Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby (Brazil/Aus) – Bossa Nova Baby Sydney Tour
– Wikipedia – Aug 2015
– O Festival – 6 Continentes – Portugal, Aug 2015
– Bossa Nova Peru Radio, Aquarela Program by Eric Burgos Special about Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby album. – 16 Aug 2015 – 8pm-Peru Time/10pm-Brasil Time. Regular air-play.
– Special Juliana Areias at Radio Shiga, Japan, 13/16 Aug 2015 – 8-9pm . Regular air-play.
– Regular Air Play at 3MBS Fine Music Melbourne by Luis Tineo; at TLC FM 100.3 Yamba, NSW; at 3NRG FM 99.3,”Made in the Shade” Sunbury-VIC (from 31 July 2015) , “Peppered Up” – Jenny McCornack 3MDR Mountain District – 97.1FM -VIC – (From 28 Aug 2015).
– Interview for Radio Shiga by Cleo Oshiro – Japan, 14 July 2015. Regular air play.
– Film and Television Institute – #WASA27 – Western Australian Screen Academy Awards 2015 – Gala ceremony at Heath Ledger Theatre – The State Theatre , presented by comedian Joel Creasey. Contemporary WASA statuettes, designed by Western Australian sculptor, Geoffrey Drake-Brockman. – 29 June 2015.
– SBS 97.7FM – Interview by Beatriz Wagner with Brazilian General Consul and Ambassador Carlos Henrique de Abreu e Silva announcing Juliana Areias Bossa Nova Baby Show at the Sydney Opera House to celebrate 70 Years of diplomatic relations between Australia and Brazil – 21 June 2015. More articles at Australia Brazil Business Council , APEX – NUPIN ; COMEX ; Export News; Brazil Planet .
– Live interview at Fremantle 107.9 FM – Latin Studio by Karito Viviana – 1-2pm- 8 June 2015
– Tropicalia -MPB – by Daniel Achedjian – 90,2FM , Bruxelles, Belgium – featuring song ” Garoto de Copacabana”. – 7 June 2015
– Review – The Australian by Tony Hillier , 6 June 2015
” Back in Brazil, where she was raised and given the nickname Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias has been compared to Bebel Gilberto, the genre’s golden girl. Now this Sao Paulo-born singer is the toast of Perth’s jazz scene. Areias cut her teeth on Corcovado and other Antonio Carlos Jobim classics, but the release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. Not that she has turned her back on her heritage. Her first album comprising all original compositions starts with Garoto de Copacabana, which tips a panama to The Girl from Ipanema, the song that helped introduce the suave samba-derived music to the world. While it’s a classy introduction, with cool flugelhorn and saxophone echoing Areias’s dulcet tones, it’s merely a harbinger of what’s to come in a set that features consummate accompaniment from the cream of West Australia’s Latin jazz instrumentalists. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries. Four-stringed cavaquinho guitar and trombone help generate rhythm as Areias ups the ante in Ultima Cancao De Um Amor. In Flecha, the singer salutes samba and the Rio carnival, aided by a battery of percussion (pandeiro, surdo, cuica et al) and electric guitar. Alto flute helps create ambience in a quieter New Zealand-inspired bossa that’s delivered in English. Portuguese Guitarra and a guest choir respectively illuminate folkloric-styled pieces dedicated to northern and eastern Brazil.”
– Interview – “Revista Ritmo Melodia” by Antonio Carlos da Fonseca Barbosa, Brazil – 1 June 2015.
– Review – O Globo by Antonio Carlos Miguel – 30 May 2015 – Antonio Carlos Miguel, journalist specialized in music for over 35 year, author of the book “Guide of Brazilian Popular Music in CD” and judge member of the “Latin Grammy” and of the ” Brazilian Music Award”.
“Também em versão digital, disponível em diversos serviços de streaming, conferi “Bossa nova baby”. É música brasileira produzida na remota cidade australiana de Perth, local onde vive desde 2009 a cantora e compositora paulistana Juliana Areias (Correção: ao ser publicado, este texto dizia que a cantora era carioca. A informação foi corrigida em 2 de junho).
A boa impressão deixada em fevereiro passado por seu primeiro single, “Flecha”, se confirma em muitas outras canções. Basicamente, sambas e bossas com um pé no jazz garantem o interesse, incluindo “Maré cheia” (esta é uma que, por exemplo, cairia bem demais na voz de Gal), “Última canção de um amor”, “Missão” e “Como vai”. Uma balada entre o tango e a milonga, “Dia a dia”, e um choro-canção, “Belas artes”, têm função mais introspectiva. Mas, abrindo demais leque, pouco acrescentam a toada sertaneja “Estrela acalanto” e o carimbó “Meu lugar”. De qualquer forma, mesmo com essas eventuais bolas fora, “Bossa nova baby” é surpresa de boa canção brasileira feita longe e ainda ignorada entre nós. Para quem estiver por perto, neste domingo (31/5), Juliana participa do Perth International Jazz Festival.”
(Translation) – ” I reviewed the “Bossa Nova Baby” album in its digital version as available via several streaming services. It is Brazilian music produced in the remote Australian city of Perth, where singer-songwriter Juliana Areias from São Paulo has lived since 2009.
The good impression left last February by her first single “Flecha” (Arrow) is confirmed by many other songs. Basically, the album consists of interesting sambas and bossas with one foot in the jazz world; including “Mare Cheia” (Full Tide) (this is a song that, for example, would be a good fit for Gal Costa’s voice), “Última canção de um amor” (Last song of a love), “Missão” (Mission) and “Como vai” (How are you). A ballad that sits between tango and milonga, “Dia a dia” (Day to Day), and a choro-canção, “Belas artes” (Fine Art), are more introspective. However, the toada sertaneja “Estrela acalanto” (Star lullaby) and the carimbó “Meu lugar” (My place), open the range too wide and add little to the album. Even with these possible off kicks, “Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of good Brazilian music, made far away, and as yet unknown in Brazil. For those who are nearby, on Sunday (31/5), Juliana will be part of the Perth International Jazz Festival.
|Brazilian-born vocalist Juliana Areias, has been resident since 2009 in Perth, WA where this album was recorded. All twelve of these Bossa tracks were co-written by Areias and sung in Portuguese with lyrics translated into English in an accompanying booklet. The backing varies in size and instrumentation from the single, softly expressive solo guitar of Doug DeVries on Belas Artes (Fine Arts) up to seven musicians and a special guest choir of eleven voices on Meu Lugar (My Place) featuring a variety of Brazilian percussion instruments plus a surdo – an extra large bass drum – and two snare drums
The songs come in different Brazilian rhythms: bossa, samba, tango, and choro and Areias is more than capable in all of them. She has been compared to the iconic Bebel Gilberto, daughter of Joao Gilberto, in Brazil’s acclaimed EPOCA magazine
The mood is set in the opener Garoto de Copacabana (The Boy From Copacabana) with a Latin/bop sounding intro from a septet, as Areias slides into the lyrics in her rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery. A piano solo from Graham Wood, followed by one on flugelhorn from Ricki Malet add contrast. Innocencia (Innocence) has solo piano behind quick vocal phrases inserted against an interesting, descendant harmonic structure, while Missao (Mission) moves into a quick samba rhythm with a bright voicing and vibrant backing
Here’s an agreeable vocal bossa album with enough variety and skilled musicianship to maintain interest, and the agile Portuguese lyrics sound exotic and romantic
Previously published in The Australian June 2015
– XPress Magazine – 29 May 2015 – Perth International Jazz Festival
– NZ on air – Bossa Nova Baby Album Premier Air play in New Zealand at Radio Active 88.6 FM Global Pulse by Alda Rezende. Sunday 24 May 2015 – 10 am ( Wellington Time). Featured song tracks: “Mare Cheia”, “Flecha”, “Night in Takapuna” and ” Meu Lugar”.
– The West Australian – Wed 20 May 2015 – International Acts of the Perth International Jazz Festival. Bona Cover all Jazz Bases by Ron Banks – – WA Today / Social Pages / Western Suburbs Weekly – Scene Out – Perth International Jazz Festival 2015 Launch
– SBS Portuguese – Sydney – General Consul of Brazil Carlos Henrique de Abreu announces show of Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby at the Sydney Opera House in September as part of the Official Brazilian Day and 70 year of diplomatic relations between Australia and Brazil Event and at the “Australia-Brazil Council” Launch at the New South Wales Parliament on May 13th 2015.
– ORTS FM 106.2 and cable 92.9 in Oosterhout, the Netherlands. UITZENDINGEN – Brazilian Blend Program – 7 May 2015 ( feat. “Meu Lugar” – around half way). By Fred Polet.
– Jazz and Beyond Corporate News / North Side Radio 99.3FM Sydney – Featured Artist – High Five
– Abril 2015. Radio Program “Frank Presley’s Now’s the Time” – Produced by Peter Wockner.
– Apr 19th 201 – Song “Meu Lugar” featuring at ABC Jazz – Jessica Nicholas – Festival Season on its way – March 26th and 29th 2015 – and regular air play since then.
– Review at “Key and Chords” by Patrick Van de Wiele – Europe, March 25th 2015 (Belgiun/ Dutch) ” A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.” – Highlight of this week “Faixa Especial” at Radio Roquette Pinto FM94.1 – Rio de Janeiro – Monday 23 March 2015 – Special track “Flecha” from CD Bossa Nova Baby by Juliana Areias and ” Amphibious” from CD Bencao by Sizao Machado.
– Inteview at Fremantle Radio Station 107.9FM -” Cada Dia” on Sunday 22 March 2015 – 11am-1pm by Julio Marcelo. The show has being broadcasting the songs of the Bossa Nova Baby CD since 1 March 2015.
– CD Review by Frank Madrid – FAMA CEO- Managing Director, Music Festivals Curator/Arts Administrator and SBS Radio Presenter. – March 15th, 2015 Listening to Juliana Areias‘ Bossa Nova Baby and LOVING IT! Fresh, rich voice, fantastic arrangements and very good lyrics. I am looking forward to Juliana’s tour to the East Coast and hope it happens soon. She is a gem. Congratulations for one of the best albums of Brazilian music ever produced in Australia. Guys, find it, buy it and feel instantly transported to Brazil!!!
– Review by Sounds of OZ – Australian Music News and Reviews – by Lauren Katulka – on March 13th, 2015.
– number 1 on the ReverbNation Latin charts for Perth, WA, AU. – 10 March 2015 – www.reverbnation.com/julianaareiasbraziliansinger
– Cloud-Jazz – The Best Smooth Jazz at EFE radio, Spain – O March 2015 -by Esteban Novillo Piris – program dedicated to the new album Bossa Nova Baby, also featuring Kenny G. Karen Carpenters, Nelson Rangell, Count Basic, Brian Simpson, Bickley Rivera and Pete Gitlin. “Bossa Nova Baby es el disco de Juliana Areias, cantante brasileña afincada en Australia, con su Bossa con toques de Pop y Jazz”. Juliana Areias es una cantante nacida en Brasil, cuya trayectoria vital le ha llevado a residir en Suiza, Nueva Zelanda y, actualmente, en Australia. En su música reconoce influencias que van de Tom Jobim a Luciana Souza, pasando por Leny Andrade, Leila Pinheiro o Rosa Passos. Aunque Juliana Areias ya tenía temas editados en compañía de otros artistas, Bossa Nova Baby es el primer disco creado por ella misma en su totalidad. Su estilo está basado, evidentemente, en la Bossa, con toques de Pop y Jazz. Aquí tienes la presentación en directo en la ciudad australiana de Perth de este Bossa Nova Baby de Juliana Areias. – Bossa Nova Baby CD played for the first time at “Nostagia”
– Jazz program at RTR FM by Arch Currie – 9am on Sunday 28 February 2015. And continuos air play.
– Article at “Mais Bahia”- Portal de noticias , Brazil on 25 February 2015 about the Launch of the Bossa Nova Baby Album.
Depois de mais de um ano de shows com ingressos esgotados ao redor da Austrália, Juliana Areias já é uma referência no país. A música da cantora brasileira envolve várias tonalidades da música popular brasileira e da sua enorme influência no jazz e em outros ritmos internacionais. Com patrocínio do Departamento de Cultura e Artes do Governo de Western Australia e graças a uma campanha bem-sucedida de crowd-funding que envolveu fãs e seguidores espalhados por países tão diferentes quanto Itália, Qatar, Andorra, Nova Zelândia e, claro, Brasil e Austrália, o CD “Bossa Nova Baby” reúne 12 músicas originais gravadas em Perth com alguns dos músicos de jazz mais conhecidos e consagrados. A sua autêntica voz brasileira, a sua ginga, seu charme contagiante e sua presença apaixonada e ao mesmo tempo pessoal em cena são as características do seu trabalho. Confira: https://julianaareias.com/
– Live interview – at The Scope (6EBA World Radio) 95.3 FM- Wednesday 25 February 8.30-9am , Perth time. By Daniele Foti-Cuzzola . Produced by Araya Arai. And regular air play of the album.
– Review by Antonio Carlos Miguel from O Globo – Brazil on 7 February 2015 – about the song “Flecha” , a track of “Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby” CD. Antonio Carlos Miguel, journalist specialized in music for over 35 year, author of the book “Guide of Brazilian Popular Music in CD” and judge member of the “Latin Grammy” and of the ” Brazilian Music Award” : – “It’s bossa that plays soccer with jazz – like it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal.” – ” Por streaming, também fui apresentado ao primeiro single de “Bossa nova baby”, disco de estreia de uma brasileira radicada desde 2009 em Perth, na Austrália, Juliana Areias. É bossa que bate bola com o jazz, como vem acontecendo desde os anos 1960, e que acerta o alvo, como ouvi pelo Soundcloud na canção “Flecha” (de Juliana e Glenn Rogers), dedicada aos 450 anos que o Rio completará em março. Quando conhecer o CD completo, volto a ele.”
– Interview at RTR FM 92.1 – Global Rhythm Pot on Saturday 7th February 2015 12.15pm – presented by Jammy Swirl. And regular air play.
– National Interview for SBS Radio by Beatriz Wagner on Wednesday 4 February 2015 – 12pm (Perth time). Talking about Bossa Nova Baby CD Launch at The Ellington Jazz Club on 7/2. And regular air play of the album.
– Article at Western Suburbs Weekly, Guardian Express, Stirling Times and Eastern Suburbs Reporter – News Corp Australia by Tanya MacNaughton and photo by Marcus Whisson on Tuesday 3 February 2015. Online link:
– Latin Studio Show 2-3pm, Monday 2/2 . Talking about Bossa Nova Baby CD Launch at The Ellington Jazz Club on 7/2.
– B.Nova – The Home of Bossa Nova Article – about the Launch of the Bossa Bova Baby CD 0m 13 January 2015 –
– DCA – Department of Culture and the Arts of WA – Funding report 2014 including the support given to the Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby – Recording project.
– SBS Radio Interview in Sydney on Sunday 21 Dec 2014 and 19 Oct 2014 – 12-1pm talking about the production of the Bossa Nova Baby album . By Beatriz Wagner. SBS 97.7 FM Sydney/ 93.1Fm Melbourne / 105.5 FM Camberra / 1485am Wollongong (NSW)
– The West Australian – Seven Days Magazine on Sunday 16 Nov 2014 . RTR 92.1 FM Global Rhythm Pot on Saturday 15 Nov 2014 – 12pm . Fremantle 107.9fm – Tongue and Groove by Jill Cunningham on Wednesday 12 Nov 2014 3.45pm – interview with Diana May Clark promoting the show ” The other side of the girl – album launch ” – featuring Juliana Areias and Doug de Vries trio as opening act.
– WA TODAY
– 2014 WA Screen Awards – 15 July 2014 – Juliana Areias & Geoffrey Drake-Brockman – Photo: Matthew Tompsett . Article about the Screen Award statuette’s created by Geoffrey Drake Brockman – West Australian 11 July. Winners photos #WASA26 – The 26th Annual WA Screen Awards.
– July 2014 Edition – TV CAMERA SP (Sao Paulo, Brazil)- Friday 28 March 2014 – Full broadcast interview for “Revista da Camera” by Fabrizio Gloria. Talking about Juliana Areias’ artistic trajectory, influences , family and the production of the first Original Album Bossa Nova Baby – (In Portuguese. 30 min).
Part 1 –
Part 2 –
* References: bossa nova, Artist Geoffrey Drake Brockman, Perth-Australia life style, Barchetta, Cottesloe Beach, Claudia Rondon, Faran Saberi, David Meadows, Adam Springuetti, Glen Rogers, Arlindo Cruz, Totem, Daniela Collection, Teatro Payol, Luiz Gustavo Alves, Walcyr Carrasco, Livro Chega de Saudade, Ruy Castro, Roberto Menescal, Carlinhos Lyra, Carlos Vinhas, Leny Andrade, Rosa Passos, Johnny Alf, Pery Ribeiro, Ronaldo Boscoli, Miele, Sivuca, Joao Donato, Luizinho Eca, Jose Wilson Areias Mendes, O pato, Joao Gilberto, Raphael Rabelo, BB King, Rubens de Donno, Orquestra de Jazz Sinfonica de Sao Paulo, Tiago Araripe, Lira Paulistana, Pedra Mar, Mare Cheia, Johannes Dimyadi, Carlinhos Franco, Ecio Parreira, Chris Naughton, Mike Bevan, Estrela Acalanto, Garoto de Copacabana, Garota de Ipanema, Ellington Jazz Club, Kulcha, Marcio Mendes, Doug De Vries, Sexteto Zona Sul, Jobim , Lilas, Kiosk Floreat Beach, Gus Potenza, Maria Gadu, Shimbalaye, Judith Cullity , Mike Boase,Paul Millard, NIck Abbey, Tal Cohen, BRACCA, Brazilian Day, Ritmo Festival, Sydney, Darling Harbour)
– Fremantle Herald 14 March 2014 – Freo goes Rio Article about The Samba Summit (30/3) with interviews from MC Richy Glasgow and Director Ben Bowtell. Written by Jenny D’anger. Event featuring the 6 samba schools of WA , Samba Perth Social Club with special guest Juliana Areias.
– Dictionary of Brazilian Music publisheb by Cravo Albim Institution. Page dedicated to Juliana Areias. Cravo Albim Dicionario da Musica Brasileira.
– Brazilian Magazine – REVISTA EPOCA – EDITORA GLOBO Google’s translation of the article / Online article Special thanks to jornalists Bruno Astuto, Acyr Mera Junior, Dani Barbi, Karla Rondon Prado, Claudia Jardim Rondon and Rodrigo Vasconcellos.
Referência entre os brasileiros na Austrália, Juliana Areias prepara primeiro álbum
Juliana Areias – brasileira faz sucesso na Austrália cantando bossa nova (Foto: Divulgação)
“Poucos brasileiros a conhecem, mas Juliana Areias – assim como Bebel Gilberto antes de estourar por aqui – faz sua bossa, há 15 anos, fora do Brasil. A cantora, que mora há seis anos em Perth (Austrália), mas já viveu na Nova Zelândia e Suíça, prepara seu primeiro álbum, Bossa Nova Baby, com 12 músicas autorais que exploram as influências da bossa nova nos lugares por onde passou. “Bossa Nova Baby é meu apelido musical e reflete a minha essência como cantora e compositora. Sinto que é um trabalho único, bem distante do que eles conhecem e agora atingi a maturidade profissional”, conta ela que, seja onde for, faz questão de cantar em português. “É uma maneira de manter a língua viva e, além disso, a maioria dos estrangeiros ama música brasileira”.
Um dos destaques do álbum é Maré Cheia, já disponível em versão ao vivo no Youtube. “Fiz essa música quando estava na Nova Zelândia, com o músico e compositor Johannes Dimyadi. Na época, tínhamos um trio chamado Bel Bossa e a música fala sobre o mar, uma influência que tive quando morei na Bahia e uma referência à Iemanjá. A letra conta um romance de uma sereia com um pescador”, diz ela, que também compôs Garoto de Copacabana, uma versão masculina e contemporânea da Garota de Ipanema. “Procurei fazer uma irreverência, com vocabulário mais ousado, de uma mulher apreciando um homem”.
– JORNAL O DIA – Rio de Janeiro Newspaper – Diversao – 8 March 2014 – Print and online articles by Ricardo Schott . Special thanks to journalists Ricardo Schott, Karla Rondon Prado, Claudia Jardim Rondon and Rodrigo Vasconcellos. Google translator
Juliana Areias: bossa nova e jazz brasileiro na Austrália
Mesmo morando fora, cantora prepara álbum em português
“Por aqui, sinto que eu faço um trabalho pioneiro. É uma música bem distante do que eles conhecem”, conta. “Na Nova Zelândia e Suíça, sentia que o terreno estava já semeado. Especialmente na Suíça, já que há décadas havia músicos brasileiros lá. Uma amiga minha de lá aprendeu português só para escutar Chico Buarque, porque havia uma canção dele numa propaganda”. Até optar pela bossa, Juliana chegou a trabalhar como atriz. Aos 13 anos mudou-se de São Paulo, onde nasceu, para Salvador. “Adquiri um sotaque soteropaulistano. E muita gente acha que sou do Rio”, brinca. Seu envolvimento com música, que começou na infância, se solidificou aos 15 anos ao conhecer figuras da bossa nova como o letrista Ronaldo Bôscoli (1928-1994) e o pianista Luiz Eça (1936-1992) nos bastidores do musical ‘Chega de Saudade’. Baseada no livro do escritor Ruy Castro, a peça tinha roteiro de Bôscoli e Miéle. “Tive a chance de ir a ensaios, jantar com eles. Tinha até carteirinha de imprensa para andar nos bastidores. Era incrível como uma menina da minha idade adorava bossa nova”, conta. A mudança para a Suíça veio aos 21 anos. “Uma ex-namorada do meu pai mudou-se para a Suécia quando eu tinha 5 anos, e passou a me mandar cartas e presentes. Só que, criança, eu não sabia ler direito e entendi que era na Suíça. Passei a sonhar em ir para lá”, brinca ela, que passou a cantar lá. Apesar de Juliana apresentar um ou outro clássico da MPB nos shows (‘Mas Que Nada’, de Jorge Ben Jor, é um deles), o foco de ‘Bossa Nova Baby’ é em músicas autorais, todas em português. Entre elas, ‘Maré Cheia’ (parceria com Johannes Dimyadi, músico nascido na Indonésia), ‘Estrela Acalanto’ (que fez para os filhos Jobim, de 12 anos, e Lilás, de 8) e ‘Garoto de Copacabana’. O álbum está sendo completado por crowdfunding e deve chegar às lojas até janeiro. “Depois disso, quero cantar no Rio, Salvador, Fortaleza e São Paulo”, anuncia.
– Live interview and performance at RTT FM – Global Rhythm Pot by Jane Hebiton Tassell – Women International Day – 8 March 2014 – 12.15 to 1pm featuring Juliana Areias, Geraldine Ray, Nikky Dagostino and Beth Sheldon – Listen to the program “In celebration of International Women’s Day we’re having a Pop-Up Group of some of our wonderful women world musicians here in Perth – Juliana Areias (Brazilian singer), Geraldine Rey (singer and guitarist with Mambo Chic), Nikki Dagostino (piano accordian) and Beth Sheldon (stand up bass). Juliana currently has a crowd sourcing project open so she can record her first album. For more information head to the poziblle site to help her out –> http://www.pozible.com/project/177913 “A big “thank you” for helping Global Rhythm Pot out! It was wonderful having you in the studio for International Women’s Day. The show was amazing and all the stronger for having such an eclectic and accomplished collection of female musicians in the studio for that impromptu performance of fused French and Brazilian songs was an absolutely privilege. And having you and your band at our Global Rhythm Pot fundraiser in January last year absolutely made the night. You and your barrage of supporters (I know they were they for you because they were all singing along with your songs and dancing!) made the night a complete success. We are so grateful for you voluntary contribution to supporting both the show and the radio station.”
– Suppport Article by Vibez Brazil – Eastside Radio 89.7FM – Sydney , February 2014
- “Areias is one of our major assets in terms of Brazilian music and culture in Australia. Bossa nova is her passion and she represents the style not only singing and composing, but she is also a determined Bossa Nova advocate. Hence the fact she is probably one of the most recommended individuals to talk about Brazilian music/culture in Perth.”
– Article published by RTR FM , Around town , 17 December 2013.
- “With a deep sense of groove, engaging charisma and passionate stage presence, Juliana Areias is the quintessential authentic Brazilian singer”.
– Interview for Portugueses in Australia Website – Melbourne 15 September 2013. – Sao Paulo – Brazil – Rede TV – Leitura Dinamica Show – Monday 9 September 2013 – “Samba Resolution” Short Documentary Film Launch publicity. Documentary directed by Antony Webb and produced by Claudia Rondon featuring Perth Samba Social Club at the inaugural Perth International Jazz Festival – Marcio Mendes, Tom Foss, Thiago Santos , Juliana Areias, Adam Springuetti and big samba band. – TESTIMONIALS in support of the Bossa Nova Baby Album Recording Project.– August 2013 – Perth – Graham Wood – The Ellington Jazz Club Proprietor / The Academy of Performing Arts of Western Australia WAAPA – Associate Professor , Music Program Director
- ” In my capacity as proprietor of The Ellington Jazz Club – WA’s premier venue for live Jazz performance – I first became aware of Juliana Areas when we booked her for a concert in April 2011. This show was sold-out on the night, and we repeated the concert in June to satisfy audience demand. Since that time Juliana has become one of the Club’s most regular performing artists, with 0ver 15 concerts to her credit. Juliana’s musical professionalism is exhibited in her approach to each concert, where she builds a new show to explore a particular theme or musical idea. Most recently her concert “Metropolis” explored musical interpretations of Sao Paulo, her home-town in Brazil. In the relatively short time since Juliana arrived in WA in 2009, she has built up a considerable following, and can be consistently be relied upon to draw a good audience on any day of the week. Juliana’s sound is an authentic Brazilian Jazz fusion with a strong element of Bossa Nova tradition. Her mastery of her genre makes her one of very few artists in her area and a real asset to the music industry in WA. Juliana is well-known to the Jazz musician community in WA, and she performs with some of our best musicians, including a number of former students and current teachers from WAAPA. Juliana also recently performed at the Inaugural Perth International Jazz Festival 2013. ” –
- – Alexis Courtin – WAM – The Western Australian Music Industry Association Inc. – Project Officer. Perth- August 2013
- ” I have known Juliana Areias since March 2009 when, as Program Manager at Kulcha Multicultural Arts I booked her first concert in Western Australia. Since then I have remained in contact with Juliana and followed her work and career with interest. I have attended a number of her performances over that time and have been instrumental in arranging some of her gigs; including Live @ Woodside, a concert at St John of God Hospital, and most recently the “Van Gogh, Dali and Beyond” concert at The Art Gallery of Western Australia as part of the gallery’s 2013 AGWA Night Series in partnership with WAM. Juliana is a fine vocalist and a true asset to the diversity of the Western Australian musical scene. In addition, in all her engagements I have noted that Juliana is consistently professional in her approach. This professionalism extends from her dedication to high-quality musical performance, and also includes attention to the practical aspects of managing, promoting, and producing her shows.”
- – Garry Lee – City of Perth – Sunday Piazza Live Concert Series – Perth – August 2013
- “Juliana Areias project combines international influences with local musicianship in a way that engages with current WA audiences.”
– The West Australian – Today – Out & About – Wednesday 24 July 2013 -Perth Institute of Contemporary Art’s – PICA Salon 2013 – featuring the “Little Counter”- interactive sculpture by Geoffrey Drake-Brockman – beside Juliana Areias at the article. – Channel 10 – Nacional TV – ” The Project ” – 19 July 2013 – 7pm – at the Van Gogh, Dali and Beyong Exhibition at the Art Gallery of WA – WAM night – Juliana Areias show. – The Art Gallery of Western Australia – “Van Gogh, Dali and Beyond ” Exhibition – WAM night featuring Brazilian Beats and Beyond with Juliana Areias – Article by Angela King from The Art Gallery of Western Australia – July 2013
- “The warm, passionate voice of Juliana Areias – dubbed the Bossa Nova Baby – encourages the listener to forget its winter, shed the scarf, coat and boots and party, Brazilian Style !”
– Channel 9 TV – 28 June 2013 – 6pm at the Perth Winter Arts Season – at the Perth Town Hall. – Review by Garry Lee – The Jazz Guitar Society of Western Australia JGSSWA # 142, June 2013 – Page 3. Re. Juliana Areias and Doug De Vries Trio – Collaboratory Series for The Perth Jazz Society at the Ellington Jazz Club on 1 may. Read it here.
- “Juliana Areias is proving be a band leader and musical “activist” who makes things happen.”
– The West Australian Seven Days Magazine – 18-25 May 2013 – Social Eyes – page 14 – guest of The Coppelia Salon hosted by Artist Geoffrey Drake-Brockman. – Radar Magazine – May 22 – 2013 – article about the Brazilian scene at the 1st The Perth International Jazz Festival. – Radar Magazine – Article about Juliana Areias and Victoria Newton Program change of the Perth International Jazz Festival – 25 May 2013 – Interview for B.Nova – Website specialized in Bossa Nova Worldwide – April 17th – 2013 – Interview / Profile page .
– RTR FM 92.1 – Perth – 1) Radio Interview , original broadcasting and live performance about Transglobal Express Concert – Breakfast with Peter Barr – Wednesday 16 January 2013 – 8.14am ( 2’11 starting)/ Nadeah – Nouvelle Vague. + 2) 6/4 RTR FM Global Rhythm Pot – 45 minutes interview and live performance talking about RODA DE CHORO Show and Samba de gafieira at Kulcha Arts on 30/4 and 3) RTR FM – Nostalgia – Jazz on 14/4 – 8.30-9am presented by Arch Currie. 4) RTR FM 21/5 – 10.30am – With Marcio Mendes and Perth Samba Social Club talking about The 1st Perth International Jazz Festival. – The West Australian Regional – JOSH ZIMMERMAN South Western TimesMarch 7, 2013 – “Bunbury dances into the Latin spirit” Article – The Drum Media Magazine #312 Page 28 – 1 November 2012 – SBS Radio Interview – Sydney 97.7FM , Melbourne (96.9 FM -Perth), Canberra and Wollongong by Rui Bernardes in Portuguese – 15 Sept 2012 about Sydney tour – Ritmo Festival in Darling Harbour (interview with Juliana Frantz about the Festival). – Live performance at Vibez Brazil – 89.7 Eastside FM – Sydney – 18/9 with Raphael Brasil, Marcio Mendes, Leandro Cezarino, Gabriela Soares and Oscar Jimenez. – ABC’s Limelight Online Magazine July 2012 – Fremantle Herald – Herald Arts – Saturday 12 November 2011 – Page 39 – FP Falamos Portugues Magazine – October/November 2011 (Sydney Australia) – RTR 92.1 FM Radio – Nostalgia presented by Arch Currie – 30 October 2011 – Juliana Areias singing One Note Samba. Listen to it here (02:17:24sec to 02.23.25sec – last 1/4 of the Program). – Juliana Areias – Sydney Tour – SBS Radio interview to Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Wollongong (by Rui Bernardes in Portuguese) – 13 Sept 2011. Listen to SBS Radio Interview – Juliana Areias – The Bossa Nova Baby Concert premier – 7 September 2011.: interview in Portuguese by Brazilian Jornalist Pablo Nacer ( Sydney – Australia) and The Bossa Nova Queen at the Ellingtons by FunGuyPaul – FP Falamos Portugues Magazine – July/August 2011 (Sydney Australia) Juliana Areias – A borderless voice (Text in English below the images)
Juliana Areias – A borderless voice Talent, versatility and determination Translation by Sue Burns Passionately determined to show the richness of Brazilian Music and aiming to unite diverse cultural backgrounds through her art, Juliana Areias (singer/songwriter) is expanding her work throughout Australia. After the success of her show “Ginga Brazil” at Kulcha – the Multicultural Arts Centre of Western Australia, Fremantle Festival and Sunset @ Subi Concert Series, singer Juliana Areias has also conquered the Ellington Jazz Club in Perth – one of the most respected Jazz venues of the Australian Music circuit. She first performed there on April 20th, accompanied by some of the best and most versatile musicians in town: guitarist Glenn Rogers, bassist Pete Jeavons, pianist Tal Cohen, drummer Mike Boase and Brazilian percussionist Marcio Mendes. Her repertoire comprises the best of traditional and contemporary Brazilian Music including songs by Tom Jobim, Djavan, Pixinguinha, Chico Buarque, João Bosco, Lenine, Arlindo Cruz, Ceu and also original songs such as “ Mare Cheia “ (Full Tide) and “Flecha de Oxossi” (Oxossi’s Arrow). Juliana explains: “The Ginga Brazil show is inspired by the Brazilian spirit and soul; its ability to reinvent itself is infinite. Ginga is a Brazilian word that describes the signature element, the malleable bilateral motion and spirit that Brazilians present in everyday life – always keeping in rhythm. It is present in the way we walk, dance, talk, sing, play, love, live, face problems, adapt and achieve our dreams. In the show, we go beyond the clichés showing the public the whole spectrum and diversity of Brazilian music and at the same time, encouraging the fusion of Brazilian Ginga with the Australian Ginga because it is the mixture of influences that makes Brazilian music – and music in general – interesting. ” Juliana was born of a mix of two cities: São Paulo and Salvador. She was born in Avenida Paulista on a Saturday evening during Carnival. Her father composed a samba to celebrate her arrival. During her adolescence, living in Sao Paulo, she began her career as an actress and gained the nickname “Bossa Nova Baby” by the renowned journalist, Ruy Castro, due to her unusual love for bossa. She lived for a few months in Brasilia, and at 17, she purposely went to Salvador to live in the same street where Vinicius de Moraes used to live, in Itapuã Lighthouse Suburb. It was there that she first performed as a singer and from then on she’s never looked back. She went to Switzerland and began travelling the world. She performed at events such as Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, Cairo International Song Festival in Egypt as well as the America’s Cup and the Auckland Festival, both held in New Zealand. Juliana Areias says she is happy to bring her music to Australia and enjoys the challenges of being a pioneer: “Compared to other places like Europe, where the Brazilian music market has had a tradition for over 30 years, everything is still new here. I see a great future for Brazilian music here and increasing responsiveness from the public, producers, the Australian media and art lovers.” The next step for Juliana, the singer, is to consolidate her work in Perth and tour other cities in Australia and Asia. She looks forward to producing her new album with original songs, and collaborative works developed along her fabulous life’s journey with musical partners from around the world. The talent and remarkable presence of Juliana attracts partnerships with Brazilian companies established in Australia: the brands; Daniela Collection (Jewellery), Totem (represented by Melko, based in Melbourne), Carmen Steffens and Oi Exchange. In conjunction with her music, Juliana Areias unites her multiple passions. Juliana conducts research and projects relating to the history and music of Brazil. She’s presented seminars throughout Europe, has worked for the University of Auckland as a Brazilian Music Expert and currently writes articles for magazines and her own website, www.julianaareias.com . Juliana still devotes part of her time towards the development of the local Brazilian community, being one of the inspiring, founders and current vice president of the newly formalised Brazil WA – The Brazilian Association of Western Australia Inc. (www.brazilwa.com ). – TESTIMONIAL by Leigh Jarrett | PAN International – Australia, March 2011
- “As the producer of sunset@subi; the City of Subiaco’s free concert series, I was delighted to discover the beautiful and talented Juliana Areias. Juliana’s experience is extensive and shows in her very polished but relaxed performance style. The promise of something special had a large audience turn up to be treated to an afternoon of stunning classic and contemporary bossa, samba, fusions and originals, which had even the most reserved up and dancing and clapping along to the infectious rhythms. Juliana has put together a band of accomplished and passionate musicians who perfectly compliment Juliana in creating a truly authentic sound and memorable experience.”
Radar Magazine – Social Radar – March 2011 (Sydney – Australia) FP Falamos Portugues Magazine, What’s on -Events – November 2010 to March 2011 (Sydney Australia) The Western Australia , The Wire Mag , 23 September 2010 (Perth, Australia)
So Brazil at the Havaianas Botequim So Brazil Duo (Juliana Areias and Jose Henrique Alves) and guest musician Rick Gonçalves joined a cast of Perth celebrities and entrepreneurs in the launch of the Havaianas Botequim on 16 March 2010, at Cottesloe Beach, in Perth. The event was awesome, as Havaianas decided to launch its version of a Brazilian beach Botequim (a very laid back bar selling drinks and traditional finger food) alongside the Sculptures by the Sea exhibition. So Brazil entertained the guests with a selection of songs that made everybody dance, while the catering service provided extra energy via generous servings of água de côco (coconut juice), pão de queijo (cheese balls) and feijoada (black beans with rice). The event made the social pages of several local newspapers (Below: scan from The West Australian, “Out & About” in their Style section – 17/3/2010).
Media releases of So Brazil Concerts at Salt on the beach – Perth, Australia – December 2009/January 2010
Media release of So Brazil’s Debut Concert – Perth, Australia – July 2009
– ABC Radio Interview and life performance of So Brazil – 720 Afternoon Program presented by Geraldine Mellet . Produced by Rosemary Greenham . PR Roberta Alves. Review of Aquarela – Brazilian Jazz Band Concert – Perth, Australia – March 2009
Performances with Bel Bossa and Brisa Louca – Auckland, New Zealand – 2005-2007
Performing as a special guest of Corcovado Band – Piha, New Zealand – December 2004.
Performance with Soul Brasil – Auckland, New Zealand – 2002
Performing with Vox Nova Latin Quartet – Auckland, New Zealand – 2001.
Performing with Mombasa Jazz Emsemble – Auckland, New Zealand – 2001
Miscellanious – Festival flyers and Media releases – Auckland, New Zealand – 2001-2007
Publication and invitation of the launch of the ” Showing the way – Curitiba: citizen city” – held by the New Zealand Government’s Parliamentary Comissioner for the enviroment – Auckland, New Zealand – 2002 .
Media Releases and Publications of the “Free Samba” Project of The University of Auckland, directed by Christopher Naughton – Auckland, New Zealand – 2000-2003
Recording of 2 Cds for Marcio Catunda – Brazilian poet and diplomatic “Anima Lirica CD” – Geneva, Switzerland – 1997-2000
Media release of the Brazilian Music and history conference series, directed by Paulo Freire House Association – Geneva, Swuitzerland – 1999
Official Program of the Cairo International Festival – Cairo, Egypt – 1999
Media release and review of Jazz Brazil Concert – Geneva, Switzerland – 1997
“Atelier do Ivo Gato” in the official program of the ” Lidia de Oxum, uma Opera Negra” ( Lidia of Oxum, a Black Opera Musical), directed by Paulo Dourado – Salvador, Bahia – 1995
Media release and review of the play ” A Bruxinha que era boa” ( The witch who was good”) directed by Walcyr Carrasco. Sao Paulo, Brazil – April- July 1991.
Media release of the play “TIANNENMEN” directed by Luiz Gustavo Alves. Sao Paulo, Brazil – June – July 1991. In the main photo, Juliana Areias playing a chinese actress student playing Hamlet’s mother, the queen who dies at the end of this famous Shakespeare’s tragedy.