Juliana Areias – Celebration of 60 Years of Bossa Nova at The Ellington Jazz Club, Perth, WA -Saturday 28 July 7.00pm – Book now
After a brilliant USA Tour, with performances in New York, California, Florida and New Jersey; Perth-based Brazilian singer-songwriter Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby”, is back to salute 60 years of Bossa Nova at the Ellington Jazz Club.
The concert will feature exuberant arrangements of select originals and many of the most-loved Bossa Nova classics – including The Girl From Ipanema, Mas que Nada, and One Note Samba – revealing how Bossa Nova keeps evolving and enchanting the world.
Juliana will be joined by a stellar line-up of musicians and friends: Paul Millard – sax/flute, Ray Walker – guitar, Joe Southwell – bass and Brazilian drummer Fabio Macarrao.
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
As a teenager Juliana was personally introduced to the Bossa Nova founders by the iconic Brazilian music historian and journalist Ruy Castro – who also named her the “Bossa Nova Baby”. This direct contact with the Bossa masters inspired her to become a professional singer and songwriter.
Before moving to Australia, Juliana Areias began her music career in Europe and lectured in New Zealand, but it was her first original album “Bossa Nova Baby” produced in Perth that elevated her to the next level. Featured on Australia Day 2016, the CD received multiple music award nominations and earned regular air play around the world. Filled with original tunes, the CD is an infectious blend of bossa-nova with samba, jazz, pop, funk, choro, ballad, and tango rhythms.
Now it is your turn to experience live the sounds of the Bossa Nova Baby in concert.
More information at www.JulianaAreias.com
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music.”, Daily Record, Bill Nutt. – USA
– “Rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery” – Jazz and Beyond , The Australian, John McBeath. – Australia
– “We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – ABC Radio National – Daily Planet – Lucky Oceans. – Australia
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier. – Australia
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of good Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Antonio
Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the “Latin Grammy Award”. Brazil
” A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.“– Key and Chords – Patrick Van de Wiele . – Belgium, Europe