Hoist the colours high and set your imagination free. Perth’s own Brazilian singer-songwriter and recent winner of the USA Focus Brasil Music Award – Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby”, invites you on a musical voyage to the tropical waters of her “Oceanos” Concert.
Dive into the seven oceans of songs about iconic beaches, mythic creatures, lost treasures and magic tales of Neptune, Poseidon, Yemanja, sirens, mermaids, mermen, albatrosses, pirates, fish-men, African slave ships and Atlantis’s mysteries.
This alluring concert will embrace some of Brazil’s most evocative rhythms and fusions – bossa, samba, baiao, afoxe, maracatu, samba-jazz, samba-funk, samba-rock, samba-reggae – featuring many celebrated composers and interpreters as well as few songs from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album “Bossa Nova Baby”. From fresh arrangements of bossa, samba and swing classics such as “The Girl from Ipanema”, “Mas que nada” and “Beyond the Sea” (“La Mer”) to contemporary iconic Brazilian artists – Antonio Carlos Jobim, Roberto Menescal, Djavan, Tim Maia, Lenine, Maria Gadu, Lulu Santos, Marisa Montes, Marina, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Ceu, Chico Buarque and Edu Lobo. – the Oceano concert will make your heart beat stronger and your mind fly high.
The concert will also reference Christiane Anu’s iconic rendition of Warumpi Band’s Australian song “My Island Home” (1987/1995) and UK artists who influenced Juliana Areias when she lived in Europe during the 90’s – David Byrne’s recording with Caetano Veloso “Dreamworld – Red Hot” (1998), Smoke City’s song “Underwater Love” (1997) and Madonna’s 1989 hit “Cherish” which includes a line from 1966 “Cherish” by California band “The Association”.
Aboard with Juliana for this maritime excursion are her captains of groove, showcasing the amazing talent and cultural diversity we are so lucky to have in Perth:
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan guitarist and singer;
– Adam Springuetti – Australian/Italian bassist and multi- instrumentalist (member of Adam Hall and James Flynn’s bands).
– Arvis Mena – Cuban bassist and lead singer of De Cuba Son Band
– Bronton Ainsworth – Australian drummer (member of Straight Ahead Big Band and Adam Hall band).
And very special guests:
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist
– Ana Lucia Pereira and Sarah Quinn – Let the Dance Speak – samba de gafieira and forro dance teachers and their students.
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel alive and spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt
More information at: www.julianaareias.com