Saturday 14 December 7.00pm at The Ellington Jazz Club – BOOK NOW
Juliana Areias invites you to party Brazilian-style, come and feel like you are in Rio for the New Year’s Eve Fireworks at Copacabana Beach! Roll-up for a magical night of rhythms and joy celebrating the festive season and the music of the country of bossa nova, samba and carnaval with Perth’s own Brazilian singer-songwriter – recent winner of the USA Focus Brasil Music Award and Best World Music Act – WAM Awards finalist – Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby”.
This vibrant and sensuous concert will embrace some of Brazil’s most evocative rhythms and fusions – bossa, samba, baiao, maracatu, samba-jazz, samba-funk, samba-rock and feature many celebrated composers and interpreters as well as a few songs from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album “ Bossa Nova Baby” – currently in the USA TOP 100 Jazz Billboard Charts 2019. From fresh arrangements of Jobim’s bossa classics such as The Girl from Ipanema, One note Samba and Sergio Mendes Brazil66’ popular samba recording Mas que nada to contemporary Brazilian icons – Djavan, Joao Bosco, Lenine, Arlindo Cruz, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, Roberto Menescal, Joao Donato, Rosa Passos… and groovy surprises, like a bossa version of Katy Perry’s Fireworks song – This concert will make your heart sway into the samba beat and your imagination fly high!
In Brazil, the best New Year’s Eve Celebrations are by the sea, with fireworks, live music, and millions of people dressed in white bringing roses to Yemanja – the siren queen of the sea – while jumping seven waves and making wishes and resolutions for the new year. Feel free to dress in white, if you wish, or in your favourite colour!
For this exceptionally joyful concert, Juliana Areias has assembled a blazing line-up of sensational musicians and special guests – showcasing the amazing talent and cultural diversity we are so lucky to have in Perth. Juliana Areias is honoured to share the stage with:
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan guitarist and singer;
– Paul Millard (leader of Straight Ahead Big Band)
– Arvis Mena – Cuban bassist and lead singer of De Cuba Son Band
– Bronton Ainsworth – Australian drummer (member of Straight Ahead Big Band and Adam Hall band, and Beleza Samba School).
And very special guests:
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist
– Ourico – Lee Coumbe – Australian percussionist and Capoeira teacher (leader of Cdo-Perth Capoeira Group)
– Ana Lucia Pereira and Sarah Quinn – Let the Dance Speak – samba de gafieira and forro dance teachers and their students.
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro.
Now it is your turn to feel alive and spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt
More information at: www.julianaareias.com