Hello Sydney! The Bossa Nova Baby is coming down your way! One night only at Foundry 616 Jazz Club.
After enthralling audiences across the USA, Japan and Europe, Juliana Areias, globally acclaimed as the “Bossa Nova Baby”, come to Sydney for one night only at Foundry 616.
Bossa Nova is more alive than ever with the voice and groove of Brazilian singer-songwriter Juliana Areias. Dubbed the ‘Bossa Nova Baby’, this Perth-based Brazilian singer-songwriter and multiple award finalist, brings a new edge to traditional Brazilian rhythms – creating a contemporary Latin Jazz musical fusion which is taking the Australian and the International music scene by storm.
Juliana Areias Concert features the original songs of her Bossa Nova Baby album as well as exclusive arrangements of bossa and samba hits such as “Mas que Nada”, “Water of March”and “The Girl from Ipanema”.
The Bossa Nova Baby is super excited to share the stage with this fantastic line up of Sydney based musicians: Pedro Licio, pianist Rodric White, saxophinst/flutist Glenn Henrich, bassit Stan Valacos drummer Andrew Dickeson and very special guests from Sydney Choro Club – flautist Sara Müller, accordionist Lukas Maio, seven string guitarist Pedro Licio, bassist George Machado and percussionist Douglas Aguiar (playing Brazil’s luxurious tambourine called pandeiro).
Juliana was personally introduced to the Bossa Nova founders when she was a teenager by legendary Brazilian Music historian and journalist Ruy Castro who also named her “The Bossa Nova Baby”. This direct learning and unique experience have inspired her to become a professional singer and songwriter.
Juliana Areias has performed on celebrated stages around the world including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Fukiagi Hall in Japan, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand, the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro and at Darling Harbour performing for over 30.000 people.
Now it is your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music.”, Daily Record, Bill Nutt. – USA
– “Rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery” – Jazz and Beyond , The Australian, John McBeath.
– “We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – ABC Radio National – Lucky Oceans.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries” – The Australian – Tony Hillier.
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of good Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the “Latin Grammy Award” – Brazil
– ”A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.“ – Key and Chords – Patrick Van de Wiele . – Belgium