Sunday 1st July – 6pm @ The Ellington Jazz Club – SOLD OUT
From exciting arrangements of bossa nova and samba classics such as The Girl from Ipanema and Mas que nada, Juliana invites the audience to dive into a deeper musical trip to the “five corners” of Brazil, presenting a wider spectrum of its traditional and contemporary rhythmic diversity:
– The “Carimbo” sounds of the Amazon Forest (North);
– The contrasting sounds that comes from the sertao (Brazilian “desert”) and from the sea coast – baiao (“forro”), coco, repente, ciranda, samba de roda, maracatu, afoxe – particularly from Bahia and Pernambuco (North East);
– The Baroque/ Spanish/Arabic/Gypsy influences in Minas Gerais music and Urban Babel vibration of Rio and Sao Paulo (Southeast).
– The Guarani indigenous influence of the “Guarania” in Pantanal Forest (West Central) and;
– The European Folkloric influences (South);
The concert is primordially inspired by the colourful Brazilian Annual Winter Festivities where everybody get together to have fun and dance around bonfires.
Lighting up the night, Juliana shares the stage with an exclusive line up of musicians: 3 authentic Brazilian Multi instrumentalists Marcio Mendes ( percussion / musical direction) , the young talent Leandro Cezarino ( guitar/ Cavaquinho) and directly from Brazil for his first performance in Australia, Rafael Abdalla ( bass / double bass); plus Perth’s own beautiful and young talent Nikki Dagostino (accordion).
Brazilian chanteuse Juliana Areias has lived for many years in Europe (Switzerland) and New Zealand prior to moving to Australia. Always working in the music circuit, her career includes a performance at the revered Montreau Jazz Festival. Her authentic Brazilian voice, sense of groove, engaging charisma and a very personal and passionate stage presence are the trademarks of her work.
More information at the Ellington Jazz Club Website
Concert proudly sponsored by:
– Oi Exchange– the best way to send money to Brazil. Perth representant: 0405279160
– Totem – Brazilian International Fashion Label
– Make up by Sand Dance
– Hair designing – Total Brazil Beauty
Sound engineer: Daine Spowart
Film recording: Claudia Rondon