Juliana Areias – Viva Brazil!
Saturday 24 September 7.00pm– Juliana Areias – VIVA BRAZIL @ The Ellington Jazz Club – BOOK NOW
Juliana Areias invites you to party Brazilian-style, and experience the magical cultural diversity that gives Brazilian Music its constant abundance of creativity and excitement. Roll-up for a stunning night of rhythms and joy celebrating the 200 years of Brazilian Independence, and music of the country of bossa nova, samba and carnaval with Perth’s own award-winning Brazilian singer-songwriter Juliana Areias, the “Bossa Nova Baby”.
This vibrant and sensuous concert will embrace some of Brazil’s most evocative rhythms and fusions – bossa, samba, baiao, maracatu, samba-jazz, samba-funk, samba-rock – featuring many celebrated composers and interpreters as well as few songs from Juliana Areias’s award-winning album “ Bossa Nova Baby”. From fresh arrangements of Jobim’s bossa classics such as The Girl from Ipanema, One note Samba and Sergio Mendes Brazil66’ popular samba recording Mas que nada to contemporary Brazilian icons – Djavan, Joao Bosco, Lenine, Cazuza, Tim Maia, Lulu Santos, Elis Regina, Ceu, Maria Gadu, Maria Rita, Rita Lee, Arlindo Cruz – the Viva Brazil concert will make your heart beat stronger and your imagination fly high.
For this exceptionally colourful concert, Juliana Areias has assembled a blazing line-up of sensational musicians and special guests – showcasing the amazing talent and cultural diversity we are so lucky to have in Perth. Juliana Areias is honoured to share the stage with:
– Paul Millard, – Australian Saxophonist, flautist (leader of Straight Ahead Big Band);
– Joshua de Silva – Australian/Srilankan 7 string guitarist and singer;
– Filippe Rimis – Brazilian drummer
– Rafael Medeiros – Brazilian percussionist
Juliana Areias has performed on major stages internationally including the Sydney Opera House, Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London, the Green Room in New York, the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the legendary Beco das Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro (made famous by Bossa Nova and Elis Regina herself). In Perth some of Juliana’s iconic performances include: Koort Boodja – Heartland 2022 at the Perth Concert Hall with West Coast Philharmonic Orquestra, Perth Festival, Kings Park Festival, Perth International Jazz Festival and at the Western Australian of the Year Ceremony 2021 with The Perth Symphony Orchestra.
Dubbed the “Bossa Nova Baby” by iconic Brazilian journalist Ruy Castro, Juliana’s original album “Bossa Nova Baby” won “Best Brazilian Album” at the US Focus Brazil Awards in 2019 and spent five weeks in the US Top 100 Jazz Charts. Voted one of the Top Five Brazilian Singers around the world at the Best of Brazil Global Awards 2021 in London, Juliana has also been nominated five times for Western Australian Music Awards including Best World Music Act and Best Song.
Now it is your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries”.– The Australian – Tony Hillier
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of great Brazilian music, made far away.” – O GLOBO– Brazil– Antonio Carlos Miguel – Music critic and judge member of the Latin Grammy Award.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music” – Daily Record, USA – Bill Nutt
More information at: www.julianaareias.com