PERTH – NORTH COTTESLOE – Every Friday 6-8 Juliana Areias Duo – SUNSET SONGS at North Cottesloe (beside Barchetta). Open Air performance. (Including Fridays 23 & 30 December 2022 until April 2023).
PERTH – PERTH – Sat 8 April – Juliana Areias – Flying Guitars @ The Ellington Jazz Club – 7pm – BOOK NOW
JULIANA AREIAS – BOSSA NOVA BABY ALBUM
– AU$15 –Digital Download
– AU$35 – CD – First edition is SOLD OUT ! Second Limited Special Physical edition in a specially designed artwork cover and 16 page booklet with lyrics and translations, mailed straight to you within Australia ONLY. ( If you are overseas, please contact email@example.com to order your special edition CD).
Also available on Spotify, YouTube, Itunes, CD Baby, and all digital platforms.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music.”, Daily Record – USA
– “We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – ABC Radio National, Australia
– “It’s bossa that plays soccer with Jazz – as it has since the 60’s – and scoring a goal. Bossa Nova Baby” is a welcome surprise of good Brazilian music, made far away.” – O Globo, Brazil
– ” A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.“– Key and Chords, Belgium
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries. Rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery”.– The Australian, Australia
Awards and nominations
– International Distinguished Talent Visa granted by Australian Government on 13 August 2022.
– Western Australian Multicultural Awards – Arts Award 2022 – Finalist
-#1 people’s choice and top 5 finalist of Best of Brazil Global Awards 2021 in London-UK.
– USA Top 100 Jazz Charts – Jazz Week 2019/2020
– “Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby” – Best Brazilian Album released in the USA – Focus Brasil Awards 2019 – Florida, USA
– Best World Music Act finalist – WAM Awards – Western Australia Music Awards 2019/2016/2015 – Perth, Australia
– Best Song of the Year finalist for “Mare Cheia” and “Flecha” – World Music Category – WAM SOTY Awards 2015 – Perth, Australia.
- Juliana Areias is granted a Global Distinguished Talent Visa by the Australian Government for her international and national artistic contribution as a Bossa Nova and Brazilian Music singer-songwriter – in the year she celebrates 15 years of living in Perth and 25 years of living outside Brazil. See press-release in English or SBS Portuguese – article and 15 minutes podcast interview by Portuguese Journalist Carla Guedes published in Sydney on 5 September 2022.
- Juliana Areias performed at WA Maritime Museum, Fremantle – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – Australia Awards – on Tuesday 31 May 2022 for the Australia Awards scholars and alumni, members of the diplomatic corps, DFAT representatives and other invited guests.
- Juliana Areias is nomimated for the Arts Award of The Western Australian Multicultural Awards 2022 after her Brazilian Divas – International Women’s Day Concert.
- Juliana Areias soloist performance at Koort Boodja (Heartland) with West Coast Philarmonic Orchestra at Perth Concert Hall – on Saturday 19 February 2022
– Cultural Diversity at 2021 Western Australian of the The Year Awards Ceremony. Soloist singer Lois Onley, Juliana Areias, Steve Hensby and The Spirit Ensemble performance with The Perth Symphony Orchestra representing all voices of Australia – Sold out Event.
Juliana Areias is an AWARD WINNING Brazilian Singer-Songwriter based in Perth, Western Australia. Her music brings a new edge to traditional Brazilian rhythms, and has created a contemporary Latin Jazz musical fusion which is taking the Australian and International music scenes by storm.
Her debut original album ‘Bossa Nova Baby’ had charted at #70 on the US Jazz Top 100 (2019/2020) following her win of ‘Best Brazilian Music Album’ at the US Focus Brazil Awards 2019. The ‘Bossa Nova Baby’ album was recorded and produced in Perth with the support of the Western Australian Department of Culture and the Arts, and features some of Australia’s finest musicians, including seven-string guitarist Doug De Vries, bassist, arranger and producer Pete Jeavons, many jazz lecturers from WAAPA, and the late pianist and Perth jazz scene luminary Graham Wood.
Originally from São Paulo, Juliana has lived in Perth since 2007. Growing up in Brazil, Juliana was personally introduced to the Bossa Nova founders by legendary Brazilian Music historian and journalist Ruy Castro. This direct and unique learning experience inspired her to become a professional singer and songwriter. It was Ruy who nicknamed her ‘Bossa Nova Baby’, which she would go on to use as her album title.
No stranger to international acclaim, Juliana Areias has performed around the world at iconic venues and festivals such as the Sydney Opera House, The Montreux Jazz Festival, Ronnie Scott’s in London, the Green Room in New York, the Fukiagi Hall in Japan, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the Beco des Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro, but she still calls Perth home. In Perth some of her iconic performances include: Koort Boodja – Heartland 2022 at the Perth Concert Hall with The West Coast Philharmonic Orquestra, Perth Festival, Kings Park Festival, Perth International Jazz Festival and at the Western Australian of the Year Ceremony 2021 with The Perth Symphony Orchestra. In 2022 Juliana Areias was officialy recognised as a International Distingueshed Talent by the Australian Government.
When she isn’t touring the globe, Juliana performs multiple sold-out concerts at Australian jazz venues such as The Ellington Jazz Club in Perth, Foundry 616 / Venue 505 in Sydney, The Paris Cat in Melbourne and Doo Bop Jazz Bar in Brisbane. Lauded by critics and fans the world over, Juliana Areias’ concerts are always bursting at the seams – you’ll seldom see an empty seat! Her concerts mix both her award-winning original music and exclusive arrangements of well-known bossa and samba songs such as ‘Mas que Nada’, ‘The Girl from Ipanema’ and ‘Water of March’.
Juliana Areias has also previously lived in Switzerland and New Zeland – and recorded for the poet, composer and Brazilian diplomat Marcio Catunda, 6 of his albums produced respectively in Switzerland (Anima Lirica -1997), Bulgaria (Crescente – 2000), Brazil ( Mistica Beleza – 2003/ Itinerario Sentimental – 2008) , Spain (Agua de Flores – 2009) and Portugal (O Jardineiro da Vida – 2010).
Now it’s your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
The Bossa Nova Baby Album is available worldwide via www.JulianaAreias.com, Itunes, CD Baby, Spotify, Rdio, Bandcamp and Soundcloud.
Phone: (+61) 405279160 (Perth, WA, Australia)
Juliana Areias EPK – (Electronic Promo Kit)