- PERTH – Sat 24 Sept – Juliana Areias – VIVA BRAZIL @ The Ellington Jazz Club – 7pm – BOOK NOW
Juliana Areias performed at WA Maritime Museum, Fremantle – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – Australia Awards – on Tuesday 31 May 2022 for the Australia Awards scholars and alumni, members of the diplomatic corps, DFAT representatives and other invited guests.
Juliana Areias is nomimated for the Arts Award of The Western Australian Multicultural Awards 2022 after her Brazilian Divas – International Women’s Day Concert.
– Juliana Areias performed soloist performance at Koort Boodja (Heartland) with West Coast Philarmonic Orchestra at Perth Concert Hall – on Saturday 19 February 2022
– Cultural Diversity at 2021 Western Australian of the The Year Awards Ceremony. Soloist singer Lois Onley, Juliana Areias, Steve Hensby and The Spirit Ensemble performance with The Perth Symphony Orchestra representing all voices of Australia – Sold out Event.
– According to High Profile Magazine published in London (Nov 2021), Juliana Areias is in the TOP 10 Best Brazilian singers around the world. TOP 5 finalist of The Best of Brazil Global Awards 2021 and #1 People’s Choice, the most voted of the finalists. “So truly this is only thanks to you! Thank you for your vote, love and continuos support! Thank you for appreciating the Brazilian music fusion we produce in Australia. Thank you for motivating me to keep creating! Gratitude!” – celebrates Juliana Areias.
JULIANA AREIAS – BOSSA NOVA BABY ALBUM
– AU$15 –Digital Download
– AU$35 – CD – First edition is SOLD OUT ! Second Limited physical edition in a specially designed artwork cover and 16 page booklet with lyrics and translations, mailed straight to you anywhere in the world.
Awards and nominations
-Western Australian Multicultural Awards – Arts Award 2022 – Finalist
-#1 people’s choice and top 5 finalist of Best of Brazil Global Awards 2021 in London-UK.
– USA Top 100 Jazz Charts – Jazz Week 2019/2020
– “Juliana Areias – Bossa Nova Baby” – Best Brazilian Album released in the USA – Focus Brasil Awards 2019 – Florida, USA
– Best World Music Act finalist – WAM Awards – Western Australia Music Awards 2019/2016/2015 – Perth, Australia
– Best Song of the Year finalist for “Mare Cheia” and “Flecha” – World Music Category – WAM SOTY Awards 2015 – Perth, Australia.
– “The idea of mixing styles and cultures is reflected in Areias’ life and her music.”, Daily Record – USA
– “We celebrate the changing face of Australian music with Brazilian-born, Perth based singer Juliana’s excellent, Bossa Nova-centred album.” – ABC Radio National, Australia
– ” A wonderful Brazilian-Australian bossa nova baby with contemporary bossa nova songs.“– Key and Chords, Belgium
– “The toast of the Perth Jazz Scene. The release of Bossa Nova Baby has elevated her above a mere covers singer or bossa specialist. The singer excels in an elegant co-composed duet (Belas Artes) with Australia’s finest Brazilian-oriented 7-string guitarist, Doug de Vries. Rhythmically perfect and passionate vocal delivery”.– The Australian, Australia
Juliana Areias is an AWARD WINNING Brazilian Singer-Songwriter based in Perth, Western Australia.
Juliana Areias brings a new edge to traditional Brazilian rhythms, and has created a contemporary Latin Jazz musical fusion which is taking the Australian and International music scenes by storm.
Her debut original album ‘Bossa Nova Baby’ had charted at #70 on the US Jazz Top 100 (2019/2020) following her win of ‘Best Brazilian Music Album’ at the US Focus Brazil Awards 2019. The ‘Bossa Nova Baby’ album was recorded and produced in Perth with the support of the Western Australian Department of Culture and the Arts, and features some of Australia’s finest musicians, including seven-string guitarist Doug De Vries, bassist, arranger and producer Pete Jeavons, many jazz lecturers from WAAPA, and the late pianist and Perth jazz scene luminary Graham Wood.
She has performed on major stages in Europe, USA, Japan, Latin America and Australia, and she is in the Top 5 Best Brazilian Singers around the world according to the Best of Brazil Global Awards 2021 in London.
Originally from São Paulo, Juliana has lived in Perth since 2007. Growing up in Brazil, Juliana was personally introduced to the Bossa Nova founders by legendary Brazilian Music historian and journalist Ruy Castro. This direct and unique learning experience inspired her to become a professional singer and songwriter. It was Ruy who nicknamed her ‘Bossa Nova Baby’, which she would go on to use as her album title.
No stranger to international acclaim, Juliana Areias has performed around the world at iconic venues and festivals such as the Sydney Opera House, The Montreux Jazz Festival, Ronnie Scott’s in London, the Green Room in New York, the Fukiagi Hall in Japan, the Auckland Festival in New Zealand and the Beco des Garrafas in Rio de Janeiro, but she still calls Perth home. In Perth some of her iconic performances include: Koort Boodja – Heartland 2022 at the Perth Concert Hall with The West Coast Philharmonic Orquestra, Perth Festival, Kings Park Festival, Perth International Jazz Festival and at the Western Australian of the Year Ceremony 2021 with The Perth Symphony Orchestra.
When she isn’t touring the globe, Juliana performs multiple sold-out concerts at Australian jazz venues such as The Ellington Jazz Club in Perth, Foundry 616 / Venue 505 in Sydney, The Paris Cat in Melbourne and Doo Bop Jazz Bar in Brisbane. Lauded by critics and fans the world over, Juliana Areias’ concerts are always bursting at the seams – you’ll seldom see an empty seat! Her concerts mix both her award-winning original music and exclusive arrangements of well-known bossa and samba songs such as ‘Mas que Nada’, ‘The Girl from Ipanema’ and ‘Water of March’.
Juliana Areias has also previously lived in Switzerland and New Zeland – and recorded for the poet, composer and Brazilian diplomat Marcio Catunda, 6 of his albums produced respectively in Switzerland (Anima Lirica -1997), Bulgaria (Crescente – 2000), Brazil ( Mistica Beleza – 2003/ Itinerario Sentimental – 2008) , Spain (Agua de Flores – 2009) and Portugal (O Jardineiro da Vida – 2010).
Now it’s your turn to feel spellbound by the Bossa Nova Baby, Juliana Areias.
Phone: (+61) 405279160 (Perth, WA, Australia)